A National Indian Council on Aging (NICOA) resolution is a statement adopted by its members to drive change. It indicates opposition or support for a change in government policy. It often requests money for programs, projects or to support policy specific to issues that impact American Indian and Alaska Native elders.
The resolutions passed by the NICOA voting membership cover a broad range of aging topics and are equally important for providing direction to the organization and serve as advocacy tools with policymakers.
NICOA resolutions should include concise background information providing the reasoning for the position or action that you want NICOA to take. The resolution should address only one topic or issue. The resolution should be complete, so that when adopted it becomes a clear and formal expression of the elders.
All resolutions should be aging related in nature to advocate for the interests of all American Indian and Alaska Native elders. Resolutions that focus on regional, state or tribal specific issues are not in order.
A resolution endorsed by NICOA shall be the policy of NICOA until it is withdrawn or modified by subsequent resolution. The region submitting the resolution must select a NICOA voting member to introduce and defend the resolution before the resolutions committee.
Resolutions must be submitted to the NICOA Executive Director postmarked no later than July 28, 2023. Late resolutions submitted at the biennial meeting will not be accepted for consideration. The resolutions committee must be provided sufficient time to review the resolutions to ensure that they are in order.
If you have any questions, please email Cheryl J. Archibald at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (505) 292-2001.
NICOA members submit resolutions which are presented and voted on by all members attending our biennial conferences. Resolutions are then passed on to the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) for presentation to the appropriate federal government agencies. Download the individual NICOA resolutions below.
Approved at the 2016 Conference in Buffalo, NY
- NICOA Resolution 2016-01 – Traditional Foods in Public Facilities
- NICOA Resolution 2016-02 – NIHB Budget Recommendations
- NICOA Resolution 2016-03 – Youth Community Project
- NICOA Resolution 2016-04 – Elder Abuse Prevention
- NICOA Resolution 2016-05 – Tribal Law Order Reauthorization
- NICOA Resolution 2016-06 – ND Access Pipeline
- NICOA Resolution 2016-07 – Michigan Pipeline Shutdown
Approved at the 2014 Conference in Phoenix, AZ
- NICOA Resolution 2014-02 – Gerontology and Geriatric Research to Benefit AI-AN Elders Tribes
- NICOA Resolution 2014-03 – Medicaid Asset Recovery Exemption for AI – AN Elders
- NICOA Resolution 2014-04 – Elders Call for a National American Indian Alaska Native Hearing on Aging
- NICOA Resolution 2014-05 – Elders Oppose Cuts in Title V Funding
- NICOA Resolution 2014-06 – Elders Request Comparable Equity between Title III State Services and Title VI Tribal Services
- NICOA Resolution 2014-07 – Elders Request Long Term Care Funding
- NICOA Resolution 2014-08 – Elders Support Dental Therapy for all American Indian Rural Areas
- NICOA Resolution 2014-09 – Elders Support Medicaid Expansion for Every State
- NICOA Resolution 2014-10 – Elders Support the Reauthorization of the Older Americans Act
- NICOA Resolution 2014-11 – Elders Support the Social Security Administration Accountability Act of 2014
- NICOA Resolution 2014-12 – Elders Support the Supplemental Social Security Restoration Act
National Congress of American Indians Resolutions (NCAI): The resolutions below were adopted by the General Assembly at the 2014 Annual Session of the National Congress of American Indians, held at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, October 26-31, 2014, in Atlanta, Georgia, with a quorum present.
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-055 – Gerontology and Geriatric Research
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-056 – Medicaid Asset Recovery Exemption
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-059 – Request for Comparable Equity between Title III State Services and Title VI Tribal Services
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-057 – Support for National AI and AN Hearing on Aging
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-062 – Support Medicaid Expansion for Every State
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-065 – Support Modernization Legislation of the SSI Program
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-064 – Support SSA Consultation with Tribal Offices
- NCAI Resolution ATL-14-063 – Support Reauthorization of OAA