We want to amplify American Indian and Alaska Native voices to highlight and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and interests across Native communities. And you have a powerful story to share.
The National Indian Council on Aging is looking for American Indian and Alaska Native elders to speak about the experiences that have made them who they are today. This is an opportunity for you to share your story in your own words — not other people’s story about you, but your story about you!
Your submission can be anonymous if you wish. It can be a written submission sent to us, or we can arrange to interview you via Zoom. Participants will be entered into a drawing to receive one of five $50 Walmart gift cards.
If you choose to write: There is no required length or limit to your story — it can be as short or long as you want it to be. You may choose to dedicate your story to someone who has inspired you or touched your life or choose to write about yourself, your family, your culture, tribe, upbringing, etc. If you’re not sure where to begin, here are some questions to consider in telling your story:
- Write about your name. Where did it come from? What does it mean?
- Write about your mother, father, grandparent, etc. What would you want people to know?
- Where did you grow up? What do you remember from that place?
- Are there any funny stories or inspiring teachings that have been passed down through the generations in your community?
- What traditions do you value and why?
- Can you share a memorable moment from your childhood that reflects the beauty of your culture?
- What traditions did your family follow during important celebrations or events?
- How has nature played a significant role in your life?
- Which traditional art forms or crafts do you enjoy the most and why?
- What challenges have you faced in preserving and promoting your cultural heritage?
- How have you witnessed the changes in your community over the years, and how do you think it has impacted Native traditions?
- Is there a particular food or recipe that holds great significance in your family or culture?
- What was the best part about growing up?
Your story can help inspire others. Please help build our inspiring collection of stories by sharing some aspect of your journey.