We want to amplify American Indian and Alaska Native voices, to highlight and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and interests across Native communities. And you have a powerful story to share.
The National Indian Council on Aging is looking for American Indian and Alaska Native elders to speak about the experiences that have made them who they are today. This is an opportunity for you to share your story in your own words — not other people’s story about you, but your story about you!
Your submission can be anonymous if you wish. It can be a written submission sent to us, or we can arrange to interview you via Zoom. Participants will be entered into a drawing to receive one of five $50 Walmart gift cards.
If you choose to write: There is no required length or limit to your story — it can be as short or long as you want it to be. You may choose to dedicate your story to someone who has inspired you or touched your life or choose to write about yourself, your family, your culture, tribe, upbringing, etc. If you’re not sure where to begin, here are some questions to consider in telling your story:
- Write about your name. Where did it come from? What does it mean?
- When and where were you born?
- Write about your mom. What would you want people to know?
- Write about your dad. What would you want people to know?
- Write about your grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins
- Are there any funny stories that have been passed down through the generations? Write one of them.
- Do you have any siblings? Write about them.
- Where did you grow up? What do you remember from that place?
- What traditions do you value?
- Think about your house growing up. What was it like?
- What was your favorite activity as a child?
- What was your favorite place as a child?
- What did a typical day look like as a child?
- What did a typical day look like as a teen?
- What was the hardest part about growing up?
- What was the best part about growing up?
- When did you first leave home? Write about that experience.
- What is your favorite family story?
- What are you most proud of as an adult?
- What advice would you give your younger self?
Your story can help inspire others. Please help build our inspiring collection of stories by sharing some aspect of your journey.